“I pledge allegiance….” From the

July 4th, 2002 – 2:19 pm
Tagged as: Uncategorized
“I pledge allegiance….”

From the Q&A section of the Sunday (June 30, 2002) Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Q: Do other countries have pledges to their flags, or is this a uniquely American custom?

— Fred Gates, Norcross

A: “Pledges of allegiance are marks of totalitarian states, not democracies,” says David Kertzer, a Brown University anthropologist who specializes in political rituals. “I can’t think of a single democracy except the United States that has a pledge of allegiance.”

When Hitler ruled in Germany and Mussolini in Italy, their regimes demanded that “true patriots” publicly vow their allegiance to their respective fatherlands. Postwar democratic governments of the two countries made a conscious effort to minimize such shows of national pride.

5 Comments

» RSS feed for comments on this post

1. 1

I did not think that it was right for people who changed the pledge of alligance to quote… one nation under god. because some people who are not from the united states dont think that it would be fair.its just like saying one nation under buddah or one nation under anything bieng an american my self I belive in god but for the people who dont i think that they should take the pledge out of schools because some kids in the united states in elemnatry and middle dont belive in god. they believe in other quote gods.thats all im saying is for the states to take under god out of our schools because its not fair for other races

Comment made by Kiara on November 19, 2003 @ 4:19 pm

2. 2

I think that it is very appropriate to say “under God” because our nation was built under the power of God. Our nation was built upon christianity. Therefore, we should respect that.

Comment made by Jeffrey on March 2, 2004 @ 9:39 pm

3. 3

This was a very big debate yesterday in my government class. I personally agree with what was said above. It should remain how it was and people should have the option of saying it or not saying it.

Comment made by Cyndy on May 12, 2004 @ 8:15 am

4. 4

How it was? As in without god? That’s how it was written. No, this nation was not built under the power of god, it was not built on christianity, either. Take a look at it. Read the constitution. You’ll see it’s far from it.

Comment made by john on July 18, 2004 @ 2:53 pm

5. 5

This counrty was not built on christianity or under god. Religion was forced upon our forefathers which is why they came to america and started this country FOR RELIGIOUS FREEDOM. Some may argue that just saying the word “god” could not possibly be offensive because a certain god is not pin pointed. Well it is offensive, it’s offensive to me, i dont believe in god, never have, never will. When i say the pledge i do not utter the words “under god” because there is no god in my mind. I believe in myself. I am very adament about this and i believe the “under god” part should be removed from the pledge of allegiance. I know this is a tall order and it will take time. However i am confident justice for THE PEOPLE not just the christians will prevail.

Comment made by Mareah on March 4, 2005 @ 2:13 pm

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.